As parents, we often want to shield our children from risks. There is no doubt that, when a car accident occurs, your son or daughter needs to know how to react. This can define the outcome of such an incident. But have you taken the time to ensure your child knows what to do if an accident were to occur?
Teaching Younger Children
For children who are just passengers in a vehicle, there may not seem like there is much for the individual to do should an accident occur. However, if you’ve talked to your child about accidents, they may be more calm and receptive to those who tell them what to do should something happen. Discuss what might happen in the event of a car accident. And, depending on their age, what role they have. For examples, children that are five or older may be able to dial 911 to get help.
What’s even more worrisome for most parents is handing over their car keys to a teen driver. Before you do so, consider the following tips and advice for your son or daughter:
- Teach them how to be safer drivers, including less distracted drivers.
- Incorporate skill training that teaches them how to avoid accidents, such as how to drive in wet conditions.
- Teach them how to pull to the side of the road and out of the way of traffic.
- Discuss what needs to happen if they are in a fender bender with another car, including trading car insurance information, calling the police and interacting with the other driver.
- Teach your child basic first aid so he or she can react properly if an injury occurs.
You have auto insurance to protect you from the financial losses of an accident. However, the risks are much higher when your child is in the car. For this reason, take the steps necessary to keep your son or daughter as safe as possible, while at the same time providing specific steps they should take if they are ever involved in a car accident. Teaching them this information before an accident occurs gives them skills they need if and when they have to react to a situation.
Your safety is our priority. Call Avanti Associates at (914) 273-8511 for more information on Armonk auto insurance.