Smart homes have become a popular topic at any tech convention. Yet, these systems are on the radar of many home insurance companies as well. A variety of smart homes exist, some with much more functionality than others.
Smart homes aim to make life easier, but they can also make life safer. That’s why some home insurance companies now offer incentives and may even help cover the costs of some systems.
What Are the Benefits of a Smart Home System When It Comes to Safety?
Some home insurance companies are now subsidizing smart home systems. Others connect homeowners with discounts and special offers from smart home companies. Why do they do this? How can a smart home system make your home safer?
- They help you to stay connected. Most systems allow you to remain connected to your home no matter where you are. You could even be across the country, but still have a connection to the home. With an app on your smartphone, they can allow you to see what’s happening at home.
- You can automate many of the features of your home with them. This means you can turn things on and off from a distance. Instead of having to worry about whether you turned the coffee pot off, some systems turn off the power remotely. And, you can automate features of your heating and cooling system.
- You can also control your lights from a distance or use a timer. Imagine the individual who spends a lot of time away from home. Their home could be a target for thieves. Yet, with light automation, they can turn the electricity on and off randomly. This makes it seem as though someone is home.
- Many smart home systems offer advanced control for tracking fires and smoke as well. They can alert the police directly about a problem. Help can get there sooner and hopefully reduce the amount of damage.
- These systems can keep people safe as well. You can see who is at your front door before you open it. You can learn who is stepping foot on your property long before they can reach the door.
All of these features make smart homes a big plus for home insurance providers. They help to minimize risk and that could translate into fewer claims for companies.
If you need New York home insurance, look no further. Avanti Associates, Ltd can help you get a fast, free quote right now. Call one of our agents at 914.273.8511 for more information on getting a policy.